Piecing together a quilt: Innovative financing and healthy living
@ 13001 Bowdon Road, Poway (San Diego County)
Completed: 2012 (preservation acquisition/rehab)
CHW partnered with residents and used innovative HUD financing to acquire and renovate Poway Villas, layering tax credits with HUD rent subsidies. This financing structure enabled extensive property renovation and investment in health-promoting features. It also preserved affordability and Section 8 subsidies for North County seniors and families– all without any additional public funds. The community’s design and art feature a quilt design, symbolizing how CHW combined old and new elements to improve the community.
- 60 one, two and three bedroom apartments Affordable to people earning 20% to 60% area median income, with Project-Based Section 8 certificates for all residents
- Major renovation of apartments, including high energy efficiency with Energy Upgrade California certification, high air quality, and water conservation features
- New community center, computer center, and multipurpose meeting room with kitchen
- Replaced the grass with water conservation and site features that encourage healthy outdoor activity: new seating areas, rose gardens and a community food garden
- Walking/jogging path with parcourse equipment and bike racks to promote healthy activities for both adults and children
- Connects resident families to Poway’s highly ranked school system
- Resident success supported by CHW’s on-site Achieve resident services.
- Affordable Housing Finance Magazine, Readers Choice Awards, Finalist, Preservation of Affordable Housing 2013 (national)
- Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition, Charles L. Edson Tax Credit Excellence Award: HUD Preservation, 2013 (national)
- San Diego Housing Federation,SDG&E Energy Efficiency & Sustainability Award, Retrofit, and Housing Project of the Year, Rehabilitation,2013