Connecting health and housing in a farmworker community.
@ 901 Alturas Road, Fallbrook (San Diego County)
Completed: 2005 (new construction)
In North San Diego County’s agricultural heart, Fallbrook View is a mixed-use development. It provides 80 rental homes, a Head Start child care center, and a medical examining room for visiting nurses. Sixty apartments are reserved for year-round farmworker families. While the land price was right, the site conditions were challenging: the 4.1 acre site is located on a steep slope that required two shoring walls. When a quarter acre also had to be set aside as a wetlands preserve, CHW altered the design to put 37 apartments on a concrete podium above subterranean parking, in order to maximize the number of apartments on the site.
- Resident-led efforts have brought health education, medical services and food bank resources to many hundreds of Fallbrook residents, efforts rooted in a nine-year farmworker leadership program, funded by The California Endowment
- A 1% nonprofit mortgage allows inclusion of farmworkers with extremely low incomes
- Playgrounds, & artificial turf play and picnic areas, are rare amenities in this rural village
- First affordable apartment community ever endorsed by the San Diego Farm Bureau
- Resident success supported by CHW’s on-site Achieve resident services.
- Pacific Coast Builder’s Conference, “Gold Nugget Award of Merit,” 2005