Manzanita, formerly called Cypress Cove Apartments, is a 200 apartment community in the City of Escondido. Originally built in 1977, the combination of large, two-story townhomes and flats make it a safe home for family with children as well as singles and seniors.
In 2014, Community HousingWorks purchased Manzanita, in order to preserve and extend affordability and to invest in major renovations. Using federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits, state bond financing, and HOME funds from the City of Escondido, CHW completed $8.83 million in renovations in 2016, making upgrades and replacing major systems.
As a pioneer in green building practices, CHW’s rehabilitation added new energy saving technology such as energy efficient windows, a solar photovoltaic system, and domestic solar hot water that will reduce utility costs for residents. In addition to the two existing swimming pools, residents can enjoy several new features including a large BBQ/picnic area and a fenced soccer field with artificial turf. CHW completely renovated the 1,864 sq. ft. community center, and added a computer lab and full kitchen for community-wide events. With the new community center, residents will have access to CHW’s award-winning adult classes that will increase their financial well-being, and to programs for kids designed to improve school performance.
• 200 one, two, and three bedroom apartments
• Cost-effective, sustainable, green upgrades including energy efficient windows, solar photovoltaic, and domestic solar hot water
• Renovated 1,864 Ft. community building with computer lab
• BBQ/Picnic area
• Soccer field with artificial turf
• Affordable to working families, seniors, and individuals earning from 50% to 60% Area Median Income
• Close proximity to community services and neighborhood amenities, such as public transportation, shopping, and schools