CHW has completed renovations at Mayberry Townhomes, a 70 townhome community located in the Southcrest neighborhood in the city of San Diego.
In 2015, CHW purchased this 70-apartment community, comprised largely of two-story townhomes and originally built in 1984. Using low-income housing tax credits and bond financing, and maintaining investments from the San Diego Housing Commission and former redevelopment agency, Civic San Diego, CHW was able to renovate the apartments and permanently lower rents in 42 (60%) of the apartments to be more affordable. Located near shopping, transit, two public parks and other amenities, these affordable rental homes offer both opportunity and convenience.
As a pioneer in green building practices, CHW’s rehabilitation included green upgrades such as new Low-E windows, EnergyStar appliances and high efficacy lighting. CHW has reduced the water use on site by removing over 50% of the turf replacing it with native and water-wise plants. Residents will have access to CHW’s award winning adult classes that can increase their financial well-being and and after school program for kids which improve school performance. Residents can also enjoy several new features including a community center, several BBQ/picnic areas, tot-lots, and a garden. CHW replaced a unsightly wall on 43rd Street with an art-wall that opens an inviting window to the greater Southcrest community.
Location: 4422 Mayberry Street, San Diego, CA 92113
- 34 two bedroom, 34 three bedroom, 1 one bedroom, and 1 studio apartment
- Affordable to working families, seniors, and individuals earning from 50% to 60% Area Median Income
- Close proximity to community services and neighborhood amenities, such as public transportation, schools, a recreation center, and a grocery store
- Development of a community room with learning center, computer lab, and gathering space
- Banc of America Public Capital Corp, Construction Lender
- Merritt Community Capital Fund XVII, Low Income Housing Tax Credit Investor
- Civic San Diego, Lender
- San Diego Housing Commission, Lender
- Greystone Servicing Corporation, Inc., Permanent Lender
- CA Tax Credit Allocation Committee, Low Income Housing Tax Credits
Design and Construction Partners:
- Community HousingWorks, Developer
- The John Stewart Company, Architect
- Sun Country Builders, General Contractor