Requirements & Guidelines
The Board of Directors of Community HousingWorks created the VALOR Scholarship Program to provide funds to Volunteers and Achievers who have Achieved academic success and who have demonstrated community Leadership, an Opportunity and Reward to help pay for higher education. VALOR Scholarships can be used for education-related expenses, including tuition and fees, room and board, transportation, books, and school supplies. Applications are reviewed and evaluated by a committee comprised of staff and volunteers. All selections made by the committee are final.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be over the age of 16.
- Be a current resident of affordable housing owned by Community HousingWorks in the first year of the scholarship. Renewal applicants do not need to live in CHW communities. Exceptions may be made for former CHW residents.
- Applicant must be attending a college, trade/vocational school, and/or the Armed Forces.
- Applicants must be a current or former Volunteer and/or Achiever at their CHW Community Center. (Volunteer hours will be verified through CHW ETO database.)
- There is no Grade Point Average requirement to apply for high school residents or first time applicants.
- Renewal applicants must possess a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA (transcripts required).
- Applicant must show proof of eligibility for admission and intent to attend the college/university, trade/vocational school, or Armed Forces indicated on the scholarship application.
- Scholarship recipients must be willing to be interviewed for news releases and attend the Annual VALOR Scholarship Awards Ceremony.
VALOR Scholarship Application