Thank you for your interest in becoming a CHW volunteer! CHW offers exciting volunteer opportunities for individuals, families and local businesses!
Here are some of the great volunteer opportunities we have available:
- Running Readers coach: Volunteer for at least one hour a week reading aloud and assisting kindergarten through third graders with related planned activities. Currently operating at 18 sites throughout San Diego County. Requires 3-month commitment.
- Family Night Guest Reader: Volunteer to be a guest reader at one of our Family Nights for our Running Readers Program. This is a great volunteer opportunity for families – you can even bring your kids with you to share in the fun. Volunteer for one evening for one hour at one of our Learning Centers (one closest to you). All Family Nights have a different theme and you can even request a theme if you’d like! Note: This opportunity does not require an application. Please contact us to sign up.
- Homework tutor: Work with students one-on-one in an afterschool setting with homework tasks and activities. Requires 3-month commitment.
- Enrichment coordinator: Volunteer to teach a small group of students in an afterschool setting in a variety of enrichment activities. Share and spread your passion with others! This individual will be placed at one of the Running Readers site location.
Click here to learn more about our learning centers!
Classes & Coaching
- Workshop Facilitator: Volunteer to facilitate a financial literacy workshop on a variety of topics. Possible presentations include career development, education, health, finances, taxes and insurance.
Click here to learn more about our Classes & Coaching programs!
- Office assistant: Help us around our Escondido office with tasks ranging from data entry to filing and other miscellaneous tasks.
- Translator (Spanish/Somali): We have many forms, marketing materials, and documents that we would love to have translated into Spanish or Somali. This volunteer activity allows for a flexible schedule and can be done in your home or another location convenient for you.
If volunteering at one of our Learning Centers, you will need to complete a background check. Fill out this form and take it with you to any of these locations for your LiveScan. Keep your receipt and we will reimburse you. Please note that the minimum age for volunteering is 15.
Already a volunteer? Log into the volunteer portal below:
Questions about volunteering with us? Please contact Rachel Cherny at firstname.lastname@example.org or 760-755-5471.