Community HousingWorks is a nonprofit that helps people and communities move up in the world through opportunities to rent and to achieve.
We believe, with a stable home, powerful tools, and community support, people can move themselves up in the world.
Through our comprehensive programs offered on-site and to the greater community, we proudly serve more than 8,000 people each year.
The Foundation: A Stable Home
For many, a stable home can provide a critical foundation needed to overcome life’s challenges. CHW builds and owns attractive, safe, and sustainable apartment communities in California that people can be proud to call home. Our award-winning apartments give people living on a limited income the chance to:
- Find home stability
- Pay an affordable rent
- Be part of a strong community
The Catalyst: Outcomes-Based Programs
From the comfort of their own community, CHW’s residents have access to critical resources to:
- Gain financial stability: Classes and coaching help people build credit, reduce debt, and save for the future. Our Financial Fitness Classes, Rental Home Stability (eviction prevention) program, and one-on-one financial coaching help people make the most of a limited income.
- Enhance their quality of life: Onsite staff and referrals to local resources help people find opportunities to improve their well-being.
- Achieve next-generation success: After-school programs give youth the tools needed to succeed in and outside the classroom. Out of the Learning Centers located onsite at many of our communities, we offer an after-school program, Running Readers reading enhancement program, and an Achievers club aimed at building leadership skills for teens.
The Outcome: Multi-generational Achievement
With a stable home and just the right resources, CHW residents can focus on achieving their dreams and building brighter futures for generations to come. CHW’s strong communities result in adults who are able to get out of debt, improve their credit, and start a practice of saving for the future; and youth who have a safe place to learn and grow, improve reading ability, and succeed at school. Youth and adults alike gain the leadership skills and confidence to shape their communities for the better.
Each year, more than:
- 300 households jump-start a healthier financial future in our Financial Fitness class.
- 285 K-3rd graders develop their reading skills in our Running Readers program.
- 1,000 youth find a safe place to learn and grow in our Learning Centers.
For the people and families we serve, renting a CHW apartment means so much more than having a roof over the head. It means sharing in a culture of achievement. It means expanded opportunities. It means a transformed future.